Leadership and Advocacy Institute to Advance Minnesota’s Parity for Priority Populations (LAAMPPIII) is now accepting applications for 2012-2014
Do YOU want to be a part of a growing movement of community leaders working to advocate for Minnesota’s diverse communities?
LAAMPP is an innovative, cross-cultural leadership Institute that aims to eliminate commercial tobacco and other health-related disparities among priority populations through culturally tailored training, capacity building, advocacy and leadership development. LAAMPP’s mission is to build capacity for effective tobacco control with
a focus on adults (18 yrs and older) working with priority populations. Priority populations are defined here as the African/African-American, American Indian, Asian American/Pacific Islander, Chicano/Latino, and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) communities.
LAAMPP III Institute will run September 2012 through March 2014
Apply now: http://appealforcommunities.org/laamppiii
Application deadline: Friday, June 15, 2012
Apply to join a select group of emerging and established community advocates and leaders from
throughout Minnesota for an 18-month comprehensive leadership and training institute.
If selected as a LAAMPP Fellow, you will:
- Receive a full scholarship to participate in the Institute, including travel expenses, meals and lodging.
- Participate in 20-25 days of interactive training facilitated by nationally and locally recognized faculty.
- Develop skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in advocacy and policy change.
- Participate in a tobacco control policy initiative focused on local policy areas such as smoke-free housing, smoke-free cars, banning flavored tobacco and restricting advertising in retail stores, which will be implemented in your respective community.
- Have an opportunity to participate in a cross-cultural project that supports legislation to increase and maintain the price of tobacco products with current Fellows and alumni.
- Develop valuable lifelong leadership skills, competencies, connections and experiences that can be applied to any career.
- Have the opportunity to showcase your work at local and national conferences and events.