Media Advisory Contact: Pa Chia Yang
January 18, 2013 651.757.1740
Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans Requesting
2013 ANNUAL AWARD NOMINATION SUBMISSIONS
The Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans is currently seeking a diverse collection of nomination submissions for its 2013 Annual Leadership Awards. This is the time for community members to nominate and recognize one of their own. Please help us to honor an outstanding business owner, leader, and organization, volunteer who has given themselves, their talents and resources to serve and better the Asian-Pacific community.
A committee of Council board members and community members will determine the number of awardees. The Award Ceremony will be held at the Council’s Annual Heritage Dinner on Friday, May 3, 2013, starting at 6:00 p.m. The location is still to be confirmed. Awardees in the past have been the Tibetan American Foundation of Minnesota, May Kao Hang, True Thao, Glen King, and Cultural Society of Filipino Americans.
THE COUNCIL ON ASIAN-PACIFIC MINNESOTANS HONORS INDIVIDUALS OR ORGANIZATIONS WHO HAVE:
• Achieved excellence in his or her field
• Contributed to the well-being of the Asian and Pacific Islander Community
• Displayed leadership to advance social, economic, or educational spheres for people of Asian and Pacific Islander descent living in Minnesota
CANDIDATES ARE TO BE NOMINATED UNDER ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:
• Outstanding contribution in any field showing vision and leadership
• Lifetime Service Award
• Humanitarian Award
NOMINATION SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Submit 1 Original and 7 Stapled Copies of the nomination materials for a total of 8 COPIES.
- Documents submitted will not be returned (Items of Personal Value Should Not Be Submitted)
- We suggest the nominator make a copy of the materials for his or her record
We must RECEIVE nomination materials no later than Wednesday, February 27, 2013 AT 5:00 P.M.
- Materials may be Mailed or Hand Delivered
- Please enclose all materials in a large 10” x 13” envelope—or equivalent—& address it as follows:
2013 Heritage Month Award Nominations
Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans
658 Cedar Street, Suite 160
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55155
DISCLAIMER: Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans board members, staff, or their immediate family members MAY NOT submit nominations or write letters of support for any nominee. These same individuals may not be nominated for an award, though it is acceptable to have an affiliation with a nominated organization. Nominations for those who have previously won a Council Leadership Award, out of fairness, will not be accepted. Additionally, nominator and co-nominators cannot be immediate family member or relatives of the nominee.
2013 Annual Award Nomination Instructions:
- Call the Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans with questions at 651.757.1740 or e-mail email@example.com
- Nominator or Co-Nominators Are Asked to Compile and Submit 8 Copies of All Materials Below in the Order Listed
- Principal nominator of awardees will be asked to introduce the winning nominee at the Award Ceremony.
I. NOMINATION LETTER:
- 1 – 2 page, type written letter from the nominator(s)
- Give a detailed description explaining why the nominee is an excellent candidate for an award
- Specific examples should be used: Provide copies of newspaper articles and other written documents about the nominee
- Please include any compelling reasons which capture your heartfelt belief in the nominee as a deserving candidate
- Describe the impact of the nominee’s contribution: Who and how many have benefited from the nominee’s work
- Include nomination category(s) from the list on page one
- At the end of the letter—on a third page if necessary—please document the following for:
BOTH the NOMINEE & the NOMINATOR
1. Full, Correct Spelling of Name
2. Complete Mailing Address (including city, state, and zip)
3. Home Phone Number (including area code)
4. Work Phone Number (including area code)
5. Cell Phone Number (including area code)
6. Fax Number (including area code)
7. E-mail Address
8. If nominating an organization, list information above for two contacts
II. LETTERS OF SUPPORT: (Please read the disclaimer at the bottom of page one).
- 1 page, type written letter from two additional people supporting the nomination.
- It is most helpful if each writer can offer unique perspectives on the nominee
- It is highly preferable that each knows the nominee in distinct capacities and for considerable length of time
- Letters should paint a well-informed, thorough testament of the nominee’s qualifications; make a case for strong consideration by the committee; and communicate confidence in his or her endorsement of the nominee
III. A RESUME and a 2 – 4 PARAGRAPH BIOGRAPHY of candidate (nominee may prepare documents)
IV. OPTIONAL: Copies of press coverage, sample work, brief stories, history, etc. (Encouraged if Available)
V. PHOTOGRAPH: Submit One 3” x 5” or 4” x 6” color photo. Black & white acceptable.
1. Co-Nominators are allowed. It is the nominator(s) responsibility to compile all the nomination materials and submit them in the manner outlined above & on Page one under Nomination Submission Guidelines. Nominees may not turn ie materials to the Council—either by mail or hand delivery.
2. A nominee may be chosen for an award in a category other than the one listed by the nominator(s) if there is compelling reason and cause. Please include your reasoning for this new category.